A warm cup of coffee and a slice of coffee cake is the ultimate comfort duo. Coffee cake, with its tender crumb, cinnamon-infused layers, and delightful streusel topping, is a beloved treat enjoyed in homes, bakeries, and coffee shops around the world. In this blog post, we'll explore the history, variations, and the perfect recipe for making your very own coffee cake.
Coffee Cake Has Been the Perfect Pick Me Up for Centuries!
Coffee cake has a rich history that can be traced back to ancient times. The concept of sweet, indulgent pastries to accompany coffee dates as far back as the 17th century in Europe. In the United States, coffee cake gained popularity during the 19th century when coffee became a staple in American households.
Coffee cake is traditionally served as an accompaniment to coffee, and it is not overly sweet. Its primary purpose has been to balance the bitterness of coffee. Over the years, though, recipes have evolved to include more sweetness and a variety of flavors, making it a popular treat for breakfast, brunch, or dessert.
There is a Coffee Cake for Everyone!
Coffee cake is incredibly versatile. Here are some popular variations of this delightful treat:
- Cinnamon Coffee Cake: The classic version featuring layers of cinnamon-sugar swirled through a moist cake, often topped with a crumbly streusel.
- Blueberry Coffee Cake: Incorporates fresh or frozen blueberries for a burst of fruity goodness in each bite.
- Apple Coffee Cake: A perfect choice for the fall season, with tender apple slices and warming spices like cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Sour Cream Coffee Cake: Incorporates sour cream into the batter, resulting in an extra moist and rich cake.
- Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake: For those with a sweet tooth, chocolate chips are added to the batter, creating a delightful combination of flavors and textures.
- Nut-Filled Coffee Cake: Nuts, such as walnuts or pecans, are often included in the streusel topping or within the cake for a delightful crunch.
The Perfect Coffee Cake Recipe
Now that you're well-acquainted with the history and variations of coffee cake, it's time to try making your own. Here's a simple and delicious recipe for a classic cinnamon coffee cake:
For the Cake:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup sour cream
For the Streusel Topping:
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C) and grease a 9x9-inch baking pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the softened butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, alternating with the sour cream, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients. Mix until just combined.
- In a separate bowl, prepare the streusel topping by mixing the sugar, flour, and cinnamon. Stir in the melted butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Pour half of the batter into the prepared baking pan. Sprinkle half of the streusel topping over the batter. Then, add the remaining batter and top with the rest of the streusel.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow the coffee cake to cool for a few minutes before serving. Enjoy with a freshly brewed cup of coffee!
Coffee cake is a timeless and delightful treat that has evolved over the years to cater to various tastes and preferences. Whether you prefer the classic cinnamon version or enjoy experimenting with different flavors, coffee cake is sure to bring comfort with every bite. So, next time you're sipping your morning coffee, consider pairing it with a slice of homemade coffee cake for the perfect pick-me-up.
Find the perfect coffee accompaniment for your coffee cake. Explore La Natura’s Coffees today!